Faculty of Language and Arts (FBS) was originally named the Faculty of Arts Literature Teaching (FKSS). In 1981 through the arrangement of faculties and institutes FKSS changed to Faculty of Language and Arts (FPBS) Teachers' Training College in Yogyakarta. FBS stems from courses B-1, such as Course Indonesian, English, Java, under the auspices of the Bureau of Teaching KDP, which eventually turned into FKIP Part A University of Gadjah Mada (UGM). Teachers 'Training College in conjunction with the formation of Yogyakarta, FKIP Part A is transformed into FKSS UGM Yogyakarta Teachers' Training College. Judging from these developments, actual FBS history can be divided into three periods. The first period is the period FKSS (1963-1981); The second period, is FPBS period (1981-1996); and the third period is the period FBS (1996-present).
Throughout its history, FBS UNY has led 9 dean. They are:
- Ny. M. Moelono, M.A. (Dean FKSS 1965-1967 and 1967-1969);
- Drs. Moh. Haroen Wiyono (FKSS Dean from 1970 to 1972 and 1979 to 1982);
- Drs. Noer Toegiman (Dean FKSS 1972-1974);
- Drs. Sarwadi (Dean FKSS 1974-1976 and 1976-1979);
- Drs. MJU Soekardi (Dean FKSS 1982-1985);
- Drs. Bachelor Hadiatmaja (Dean FPBS 1985-1988 and 1988-1992);
- Prof. Drs. Soeparno (Dean FPBS 1992-1995 daan 1996-1999);
- Prof. Dr. Suminto A. Sayuti (Dean FBS 1999-2003 and 2003-2007);
- Prof. Dr. Zamzani (FBS Dean 2007-2011dan 2011-2015);
- Widyastuti Purbani, Dr. MA. (Dean FBS 2015 - present).
Before occupying the beautiful region in the western corner of UNY, this Purple Campus, has twice complexes occupy different lectures. Year 1950-1974, the activities take place on campus Sayidan (currently the SMU 12 Yogyakarta, where previously named SPG Negeri 3 Yogyakarta. Formerly known SPG Laboratory Teachers' Training College Yogyakarta). Subsequently, in 1975 (until now) Campus Sayidan moved to Karangmalang integrated campus. Precisely, in the east FBS complex, directly adjacent (read: in the west) building dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Economics (FISE).